Friday, March 10, 2017

La La land (2016) ****½ /5: Suffers from the same limitations as most musicals but this is one of the best musicals ever made. It's right up there with the greats it pays homage to.

Image result for la la land


La La Land is one of the best musicals I’ve ever seen. For me it’s right up there with Singin’ in the Rain and West Side Story. Visually La La Land is way more advanced than any of the musicals it pays homage to. I’m not really a fan of musicals. I usually tolerate them. The Sound of Music, for instance, is tolerated because of the usual annual viewing. When I was younger everyone was talking about Chicago except me and a few like minded people. I normally find musicals excessively dramatic with their musical and dance numbers. The exceptions for me are Singin’ in the Rain, West Side Story and now  La La Land because there is some genuine dramatic heft in these films, something that resonates with me beyond the music and the razzle dazzle. For the first couple of minutes while watching La La Land I thought this would be another empty bourgeois spectacle but by the end I obviously changed my mind. I’m not here to debate whether this film should have won the Oscar for best picture because I have not watched the more contemporary Moonlight as yet. Like I said I have been a bit late with films released in the latter part of 2016 and I’m not getting paid lol. It’s another foolish dream of mine to write about films and to be taken seriously just like the protagonists in La La Land decide to follow their dreams before waking up. Whether or not the musical genre is dying La La Land will go down as one of the greats. Any musical after this will have to be really good. Musicals are a very elite category now which means one is released every 5 years or so. 

La La Land is a musical about two dreamers trying to make it in sunny California; LA to be exact. One, Mia (Emma Stone), is an aspiring actress and the other Sebastian (Ryan Gosling) is an aspiring jazz musician in the old fashioned way who wants to open his own jazz club. Their dreams bring them together but it also tears them apart: The bittersweet price of following your dreams.

Positives

There are many positives about this film especially as I have now called it one of the all time great musicals. The question is: Does that make it a great film? Only time will tell. This film is right up there with the best of its genre. It clearly pays homage to the genre as a whole. I’m not that familiar with the names of the choreographers and musical composers so don’t expect a history lesson from me. If you ever watched a classic musical before though you will understand while watching this film that it’s paying homage to some bygone era. There is a clear historical current particularly with the opening musical number. When I saw that opening musical number I said to myself ‘Not again please. Not in the mood for this.’ Let’s just say I thought I was going to slog through this one as I did with other musicals. There is something else to the film though particularly its contemporary vibe. The Artist was so disappointing for me because it didn’t have a contemporary edge. For me it’s one of the great travesties that The Artist is listed as a best film winner at the Academy Awards. La La Land does pay homage to the musical genre but because of its contemporary vibe it does transcend it in some way. Yeah, the protagonists are actually living in the era of smart phones and so how does the film adapt. Damien Chazelle knows what he’s doing here. He also did some serious research. Yes he just won the Academy award for Best Director and yes it’s fully deserved. He used the historical basis of the musical genre and he transcended it and made something his own. The film actually has something to say about California and how to carve out your own niche in the midst of rapid modernization.

The primary theme that got me is not the one about pursuing your dreams but how important it is to lay a foundation so that you can pursue your dreams. For the majority of the film what we see is a foundation being laid as Sebastian and Mia come together and then drift apart. In the initial stage, or the year they found love and lost it, both characters romantically pursue their dreams. This  is when we hear most of the musical selections for this film and the accompanying choreography. In the romantic pursuit you can see that something is being built, that a foundation is being laid. Their coming together is an obvious part of that foundation. In order to seriously pursue your dreams a solid foundation has to be laid one way or the other.  I also saw a bit of Annie Hall in this film. Apart from the musical numbers and the accompanying choreography we witness some fantastic visual sequences as a result. Things are happening as they try to figure it out. There are the obvious speed bumps along the way but things are still happening and so once the foundation is laid then there is take off. The bittersweet moment comes towards the end though because we witness the price of following their dreams and actually being successful at it. ‘Feels like Old Times’. I have only been moved by two other musical films Singin’ in the Rain and West Side Story. Those films were released decades ago and now there’s La La Land. Does this mean La La Land is a great film? In the context of musicals it does. Others might not see it that way. I have to be emotionally moved by a film to consider it worthy. It should tug at my heart strings a little or resonate with me on a serious level i.e. get me thinking. The bittersweet scene towards the end is probably Chazelle making peace with a genre he loves but is now accepting that times have changed and we have to change with it. If other filmmakers want to bring back the good old days then La La Land has shown them how to do it. Don’t follow The Artist.

I liked some of the musical selections in this film. They do reflect Mia and Sebastian’s story. I particularly like the one where they were referring to the waste of a lovely night. Something like that. I wasn’t keeping track. Mia’s final song was pretty good as well. Overly dramatic but pretty good. 'City of Stars' is pretty good as well.Some of the musical numbers without the lyrics were more up to date

This film really captured the look and feel of sunny California, particularly the Hollywood aspect of it.



Negatives

The primary negative for me is that all the limitations of the musical genre are here as well. The superficiality of the choreography and the music to say something meaningful means that there is no need for dialogue in certain areas. This leads to a lot of exaggerated elements and a sappy attempt to recreate the good old days. It’s a pity that some of the choreography wasn’t more up to date. Tap dancing? Really? In one scene Mia literally swaps her heels for tap dancing shoes. Oh dear! This is where the nostalgic vibe held the film back. As with most musicals there are some empty areas when there isn’t some razzle dazzle. It’s as if they say enough so they can get to the next musical selection. A lot of musicals are guilty of that. The opening number was a bore for me as well as the 2nd one. I get that the opening number was to introduce us to La La Land. It’s a musical after all. I only really got into some of the musical elements when Mia and Sebastian got together; that’s when there was some magic.

 Initially I thought where is the struggle here? The pressure and pain? It just seemed like some petty bourgeois folks trying to identify with some struggle but not necessarily engaged with it. This is another reason why the musical genre died a slow painful death. All the singing and dancing can be very distracting at times. Distract from the real issues. If someone is down hearted they sing a song or dance. At times it comes across as too upbeat and annoying, too artistic, denying the cold, hard reality. La La Land is guilty of that in the initial stages. Fortunately, the best musicals also have a really good story to tell and that saved  La La Land from ignominy or the shame of basking in its own superficiality. If you’re a contemporary observer who is not a fan of musicals you will only get into this film if you can trudge through the opening 20 minutes or so. 

Still well done to Damien Chazelle. I’m not saying that this film can bring back the genre but it deserves its place among the stars.







No comments:

Post a Comment